August 26, 2011

mango avocado salsa

You know what kind of makes me sad?

Not this.
Kids hang out together these days...and text.

Like, text other people. (Or maybe they are texting each other, which would be kind of weird.) Or maybe they're on facebook. Or instagram. Or playing a game on their phone. All I know is that they aren't interacting with the person who's right in front of them.


Today is a beautiful, absolutely flawless day, and I walked by a pair of pre-teen girls sitting outside enjoying the weather, facing each other...both on their cell phones.


Back when I was a kid... (cue rocking chair and pipe), and we didn't get cell phones at age 11 (I had to wait til I could buy my own...so first year of college), we were forced to actually play together. And we got creative. 
 We played "house" in trees. (Or under porches, or in our rooms...we liked playing house.) 
We gathered dirt and various scraps and dandelions and made "chop suey" (Just me? Okay.). 
We captured crawfish from crannies in rocks by the lake.
We played dolls. 

We were more innocent, I think.

I'm not trying to sound bitter or angry, cause really I'm not. 
I have nothing against having a cell phone. I have one. It's super handy. Fun, too. I text. I play games. I Facebook. I Instagram. I would be lost (literally) without my maps app.
I also have nothing against preteens or teens. Maybe I shouldn't even single them out, because I think adults do the same thing sometimes. I just notice it more in the younger generation, and then it makes me kind of sad, and then I wonder how old am I, really? I sound about 83.

My only problem is when cell phones unnecessarily (I know there are exceptions) replace real person-to-person contact, when real life people are ignored in favor of screen life. When preoccupation with a phone replaces enjoying where you are and who you're with at that unique, fleeting moment in your life.


So share this salsa with someone you love. Because it's fresh, and it's sensational. You'll bond over the juicy chunks of mango and crunchy chips (I highly recommend the Hint of Lime ones with this), and perhaps the sangria that she brought over. And perhaps you'll forget about your phone, for just a tiny bit.

 Mango-Avocado Salsa
Serves 2-3

1 Mango, diced
1 Avocado, diced
1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
1-2 T. of fresh chopped cilantro
1/2 T. lime juice, or more to taste
Kosher salt to taste

Add mango, avocado, onion and cilantro to a bowl. Toss gently. Add lime juice and salt, tossing gently to combine. Season to taste with more salt, lime or cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment