October 7, 2011

pumpkin scones

My pumpkin was blurry. I bought it that way.

Apparently Starbucks sells pumpkin scones.

I wouldn't know.
I either ignore the display case (except when I need the very berry coffeecake), or I eye it up and down with cool disregard (except when I need the petite salted caramel square). 
You can't tempt me, gooey apple fritter. Keep wishing, old-fashioned donut. I'll spend 500 calories elsewhere, perhaps on something that I won't inhale in under 3 minutes.



But then I made these pumpkin scones, allegedly a la Starbucks. And then I think I ate 3 of them the first day. They are so light and fluffy and not dense that I really don't think it counts. Psh. And stuff you make at home is way better for you, obviously.


These scones have just the right amount of spice, and with the hint of pumpkin and the added sweetness of the icings, well, they're irresistible. Not unlike potato chips, or peanut butter m&ms.
 

P.S. I made my own pumpkin puree (using steaming instructions from here), which was kind of fun, and then I roasted the seeds, which was also fun and made me feel resourceful and old-fashioned. My pumpkin puree was enough for two batches of these scones (I made another batch a couple days later but don't worry, I gave some away), and some pumpkin white chocolate chip cookies, which are waiting to be baked as we speak, and if they are delicious, I will surely let you know!



I used this recipe from Moms Who Think (without any modifications), but I will copy it for you here:

Starbucks Pumpkin Scones
Makes 6 scones
 
Scones:
2 cups all-purpose flour
7 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
6 Tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 Tablespoons half-and-half
1 large egg

Sugar Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 Tablespoon powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk

Spice Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons powdered sugar
2 Tablespoons whole milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch ginger
1 pinch ground cloves


1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Lightly grease a cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
3. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl.
4. With a fork, pastry knife, or food processor, cut butter into the dry ingredients until mixture is crumbly and no chunks of butter remain. Set aside.
5. In a separate mixing bowl, whisk pumpkin, half and half, and egg.
6. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Form the dough into a ball.
7. Pat out dough onto a lightly floured surface and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle (about 9 inches long and 3 inches wide).
8. Use a large knife to slice the dough into three equal portions. Cut diagonally to produce 6 triangular slices of dough.
9. Place on prepared baking sheet from step 2.
10. Bake for 14–16 minutes until scones turn light brown.
11. Place on wire rack to cool.


No comments:

Post a Comment