November 1, 2011

vegan week recap

Well, vegan week is over. I promise I meant to update sooner than this, but vegan week also turned out to be sick week and crazy work week. C'est la vie.

breakfast veggie hash


Let's get straight to it, shall we? I liked vegan week. Really liked it. I didn't miss meat at all, and I barely missed cheese and milk, thanks to the presence of the So Delicious coconut milk in my fridge, as well as the Earth Balance vanilla soymilk that made morning lattes a pleasure to drink. But wait, it's not like I normally hate drinking them. But nevermind.

vegan carrot cherry breakfast cookies
I actually didn't get around to making all the recipes I picked out, due to the aforementioned sick/work thing, so that was a little disappointing. I still want to try them. The one thing about eating this way is that it takes a bit of effort. It's not as easy to just heat something up or order something when you're trying to eat a fresh, plant-based diet.

carrot cake oatmeal

It feels really great though. It feels like you're doing yourself a favor. It's something I want to keep in mind from here on out. I'm not going to be a vegan or even a vegetarian, but I think I'll cut a lot of meat and some dairy from my diet, simply because I don't feel like I need them as much as I thought I would. Especially meat. (Bacon isn't meat, right?) Cheese may be another story.

vegetarian burrito bowl


Recap of the week's eats:
Some breakfasts:  Carrot Cake oatmeal, veggie hash, vegan carrot cherry cookies
Some dinners: Quinoa and black bean burgers and butternut squash fries with chipotle BBQ sauce, homemade vegetarian chipotle-style burrito bowls, spicy sweet potato and coconut soup with detox salad, colorful quinoa salad

detox salad
Favorites:
-The carrot cake oatmeal, which I made twice.
-The butternut squash fries with the chipotle BBQ sauce, which I didn't get a picture of because they were devoured in about 3 minutes flat.
-The sweet potato soup
-The quinoa salad, cause it was so easy and delicious.

-Husband's fave was the burrito bowl, which I put too many onions in for my taste, so my perception of it was skewed. I would make them again, with less onions.

 colorful quinoa salad

spicy sweet potato and coconut soup

No comments:

Post a Comment