November 14, 2011

harvest grain salad (?)


I'm sorry that I'm presenting you with another salad. On a Monday.



I'm sorry that this salad looks eerily similar to this one. Or perhaps this one. I promise you it's different.


I'm sorry that I haven't had coffee yet. I'm sorry I keep putting off my workout today. I'm sorry my house is dirty. Let's move on to happier things.


...Salad? A happier thing? I think so. I say it's a salad but you really can't call it a salad any more than you can call a Hollywood marriage permanent.


Eat this. It has everything in it. Deep, earthy flavors from the grains and nuts combine with the richness of the goat cheese and squash, only to be balanced out by the bright pop of pomegranate seeds and sweet chewy Craisins. How's that for a description? May be my best yet.


Note: The farro has to soak overnight or for about 8 hours, so you kind of have to plan this in advance.

Harvest Grain Salad
About 3 servings

2/3 cup Isreali Couscous (uncooked)
1/2 cup Farro (uncooked)
1/2 of a butternut squash
1/4 cup of pistachios, shelled
1/4 cup of Craisins
1/4 cup of pomegranate seeds
2 oz. of crumbled goat cheese
1-2 cups of spinach
olive oil and red wine vinegar
kosher salt and lemon pepper (or regular pepper)

Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with foil. Prepare squash by cutting off the rind and cutting the squash into small cubes. Put it into a bowl and toss it with a drizzle of olive oil and some salt and pepper. Pour onto prepare baking sheet and roast, for about 15 minutes or until soft and starting to brown. (Stir or turn once or twice as needed during roasting.)

While squash is cooking, cook your (presoaked) farro and couscous according to package instructions.

When grains are done cooking, put them in a large bowl. Add the cooked squash, the pistachios, the craisins, and the pomegranate seeds. Add in about a tablespoon of olive oil (I used lemon-infused) and about a tablespoon of red wine vinegar, and a couple pinches of salt and pepper (to taste). Toss. Add goat cheese and spinach and toss gently until spinach wilts slightly from the warmth of the other ingredients. Taste and adjust seasonings/ingredients as desired. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.
 

3 comments:

  1. Why don't I have this sitting in my fridge ready and waiting to be lunch today? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanne- :) wish I did too! Cause sadly I'm too lazy to make it again right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just fallen in love with farro. And it loves me back. And we're eloping. I'm wearing wheat straw in my hair.
    Ok, back to reality, thank you so much for your sweet sweet comment on my maple creme brulee post.
    I've been having a lot of issues taking him for granted. I didn't even realize last Friday was date night. I just went along for the ride and thought we were spending time together. Turns out, it was a planned date. I'm such a bonehead sometimes.
    I got a great idea of Peanut Butter Fingers (or PB Runner, can't remember) to plan a special date for your partner every month. I'm going to try it :)

    ReplyDelete