May 17, 2011

coconut oatmeal chocolate chip cookies

That's a mouthful.  Quite literally. 


These cookies are chewy and decadent and kind of took the place of breakfast and the better part of my lunch today...my sweet tooth controls me.



 Last night I was pretty stressed out and thought I would bake something to calm me down. I just wanted to throw ingredients together and create a spectacular, mind-numbingly delicious, forget-all-your-problems cookie. I grabbed things left and right like a bride at a blowout sale, and...ended up using bread flour instead of all-purpose. 

After deliberating over whether a suuuuper chewy/dense cookie would be quite as satisfying, I decided to chuck my progress and start again (fortunately I had only mixed dry ingredients at that point).


I also used some really brilliant weird methods to make this cookie, which actually didn't end up turning out too bad. I wanted to melt the butter like I do for some of my other chocolate chip recipes, in hopes of adding a caramel-y flavor dimension to the cookie. I also added the chips while the dough was still a tad bit warm, so they melted slightly and were more of chocolate swirlies than chocolate chips. But I liked the swirlies. I really shouldn't use that word when talking about cookies, should I? Noted.
 
Coconut Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups oats
1 cup sweetened coconut
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
approx. 2 cups chocolate chips

Combine flour, oats, coconut, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Set aside.
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until it boils and bubbles slightly. Remove from heat and stir in sugars. Stir in vanilla. Stir in eggs, one a time, quickly so as not to cook them. Gradually add dry ingredients to saucepan, mixing to combine. 

If dough is still pretty hot, let it sit a bit before adding your chips. If you don't want your chips to melt at all, let it sit until cooled. After adding chips and stirring gently, put dough in the fridge for 2-3 hours.

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a baking sheet. Use about a 1/4 cup of dough for each cookie. Bake 9-10 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. just whipped up a batch...waiting for the oven to heat up....can't stop eating the dough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay, that makes me so happy! i hope you like them!

    ReplyDelete